Request Please Sign This Petition To Make Schools Safe For Children In India
50,234 Person Supports This Petition Till Now Please Join This campaign
First Podar School and now Ryan International School – another child paid the price, this time with his life for school’s inefficiency to make it a safe place.
How many times do we have to read the news of a child getting raped/molested while being inside the school campus, supposedly one of the safest places for children? Aren’t we tired of hearing that the suspect had already done such kind of act earlier(current/previous jobs), but school management was not aware of it or chose to ignore it? For how long do we have to send our children to school with the worst fear possible?
After endless discussions with parents, we have come up with a set of rules which should be made mandatory in all schools to ensure our children’s
safety. We want to make it extremely hard for the perpetrator to commit such a crime.
Here are some rules we have come up with –
1. CCTV Cameras should be installed in all places (corridors, washroom doors, class rooms, stair cases) along with close uninterrupted surveillance (by staff+parent committee)
2. Live streaming of CCTV cameras should be made available to parents
3. No adult should be allowed to use the washrooms dedicated to kids. Female staff should be present in all girls washrooms and in boys washrooms when male staff is cleaning them (children should not be allowed during that time)
4. Background checks and police verification of all the staff members (teaching/non-teaching, male/female) must be made available to parents. Schools should be heavily fined if background checks and police verification are not done
5. Outside workers (such as labourers) must not be allowed in the campus during school hours
5. Make self defense classes mandatory for both boys and girls
6. Child Abuse Prevention Committee should be appointed including staff and parents to tackle local issues. Such committee members should be allowed to make random visits
7. Child counselor should be a full time employee in every school and she/he should talk to every child regularly
8. Counselor for staff to gauge their mental health should also be appointed
9. Children (right from pre-primary levels) should be given basic education related to child abuse in the language that they can understand. For example, telling them about their private parts, safe and unsafe touches etc.
Please feel free add your suggestions. Any help would be appreciated.
Click This Link And Sign This Petition